View Single Post
Old
09-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Velociraptor

vCash: 500
First Lines:

There's concern that Claude Giroux may not be as effective on the wing as he is at centre, citing his recent success. Which yes, is a valid point, but definitely should not be observed as a negative. While his last two years have come playing in the middle, he is still a fantastic playmaker, and he has one of the top echelon goal-scorers in the entire MLD on his line. Giroux's playmaking will be utilized to set up the Castors' star forward, Herb Jordan. I think it's reasonable to say that Jordan is the best offensive player in this series, and with the type of playmaking he'll receive on his wings will maximize his goal-scoring ability. Don Maloney was a solid offensive player, and will do what he does best, win puck battles in the corners, something the Mariners' line seems to lack.

The Mariners' have a good offensive first line, Ftorek's NHL statistics were nothing special, but it is passable for a first line centre. Marian Stastny is a good, one-dimensional option on the wing. Steve Vickers, as provided above, was a serviceable two-way forward. Is he capable of winning puck battles? If he doesn't have a reputation of getting the puck out of the corner, then it creates an issue for the line. Ftorek serves as the primary playmaker, and he has two scorers on his wings, how will the line get their opportunities? Did Vickers have success as a guy in front of the crease? I think the lack of size also hurts the line, the Castors' top defensive pair will be the suspect matchup against the Mariners' first line when applicable. Below is how Jacques Martin plans on using the behemoth pairing of Beukeboom and Dailey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fleury
Sather put the defence pair of Jeff Beukeboom and Steve Smith on me every shift . Beukeboom was Newie's cousin. He was six foot five, 230 pounds, and Smith was six-three and 215. Every single shift of every game I played, I was up against two giants, and their sole purpose was to wear me down. They used anything they could on me-cross checks, elbows, slashing; whatever it took.
I think the line will be very hard-pressed to get good scoring opportunities if they are constantly getting bullied by the two punishing rearguards, especially in high-percentage areas.

Slight Advantage: Sherbrooke I think the Castors' chemistry bonus is a deciding factor to compare the lines, I'm also very concerned about the lines' effectiveness of size, when they are up against a particularly larger team and defense corps.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote