Old
09-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
The AUS starts the latest.
This is just how it's been. The league use to have a late 'official' start date of late Sept. possibly October 1st. This was changed a few years ago to the first day of classes.

I recall attending a week of 'open' UNB tryouts in '85 when Doug MacLean was the coach. He wasn't allowed on the ice, but watched from the stands. We all chipped in $5 to cover the ice. This was the 2nd or 3rd week of Sept. (if you're allowed to watch from the stands, you may as well be allowed to watch from the ice).

The schedule was not moved up despite the change in the early start date. I believe the teams wanted it this way so they could get some more exhibition games in along with 'official' practices. The AUS, like the OUA, has clusters of schools that are close to each other which allows for Wednesday night games - this allows the schedule to start a bit later but still finish on time and allow for 28 games (starting in 1997 - the OUA didn't move to 28 until 2005-06).

I don't think it matters when you start, as much as it depends on what you do with that time.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote