Sore Loser
Since 2009

vCash: 500
Center
Ryan Johansen
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 205 lbs (and counting)
How Acquired: Selected 4th overall, 2010 NHL Draft

Analysis: After struggling through his first pro season, Ryan Johansen will look to come back to the Blue Jackets as a stronger sophomore. By many accounts, Ryan has put on some muscle tone in the offseason, which should help him play the brand of hockey that made him so effective with the WHL's Portland Winterhawks. After a wholly unimpressive 16 year old season with the BCHL's Penticton Vees, "Joey" joined the resurgent Hawks as a 17 year old rookie, and would center the team's top line, playing between Nino Niederreiter and Brad Ross. Stepping up as a young leader, Johansen's draft stock skyrocketed throughout the season, and improved even more at the Draft Combine/interview process. After a failed trade that may have seen the Edmonton Oilers move up to select him, the Jackets in fact made Johansen their choice at #4, and will certainly head into this season with the hope that he takes the next step forward and helps fill the offensive void left by Rick Nash.

Pros: Size, hands, playmaking, can play physical, underrated shot
Cons: Doesn't use his size enough, not an overly quick skater.

Realistic Expectation: I think Ryan is primed for a breakout season this year (or whenever there is an NHL season) ... I saw him a lot in Portland and I know how good he can be. He has a good head on his shoulders, and rather than hanging his head low and being bitter for not getting much ice time last year, he's spent the offseason working hard and trying to get better and stronger, with the hope that he can step into the lineup and contribute more next year. I won't say he'll have a Tyler Seguin type breakout year, but I think it's certainly within reason that he reaches the 50-60 point range and steps into a top-6 role on this team.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote