View Single Post
Old
09-09-2012, 05:40 AM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
All of them. Take an 8 - 20 game season and have the players play a 70 game season. You will see fewer players playing complete seasons due to injuries. Rosters would expand since playing a sixty minute game once a week works but not 4 in 5 nights as was the case at times in the O6 era. Once you have injuries and larger rosters you have greater opportunities and players get Wally Pipped.
And what would the effect be? If all players would be impacted equally, then the rankings for that era just stay the same.... and Moran remains an elite goalie.

Quote:
GAA, offer Al Rollins, Dominik Hasek, Roy Worters as prime examples. Hasek played on high average teams while Rollins and Worters played on very weak teams. All had GAAs that were very competitive for their era.Moran's was not on weak or average teams. Regardless Moran slipped deep into the MLD. and the reasons regardless of the spin are fairly obvious.
Al Rollins had two seasons with a respectable GAA. Both of those seasons were with the defensive juggernaught Maple Leafs. Once we went to a weaker team, his GAA was no longer respectable.

Dominik Hasek is the best goalie of all time. I don't think he should be the measuring stick, but he still played for defensive-minded teams.

Roy Worters was also an exceptional goalie, but he still only managed to put up a handful of seasons with a respectable GAA. He was regarded as an elite goalie, and maybe even the best of his time, but he often had poor GAAs.

As for the reason that Paddy Moran slipped to the MLD, I would say that it was simply a lack of knowledge about him. Now that a proper bio has been done on the guy, he'll never fall to the MLD again.

Quote:
Courtnall/Haynes. We are not talking about finding arbitrary or random seasons for abstract comparisons.
Especially when they prove how useless your raw stats are....

Quote:
Regardless of the spin retired players have no upside.Young players do. While this is irrelevent to the MLD you are punishing young active players for achieving more in a short time and you are creating artificial scenarios - car crash, death to do this.Very few of the retired players will move upwards to the ATD from the MLD. In fact more retired ATDs will draft as the young MLDS move up.
This draft ignores upside. There is no projection. You don't know what the future holds any more than anybody else does. For that reason, it was decided long ago that the ATDs and MLDs will ignore any future a player may or may not have.

The fact that Quick will probably add to his resume over the next few years is meaningless. He hasn't done it yet, so we ignore it. That's why I said it's best to just assume they are dead.

Quote:
Evaluations - something that you are trying to avoid, are very simple. At some point the cumulative data about all the players from each team has to come to the top. Players can or cannot: score, play defense, stop the puck etc. Just focus on this and stop trying to make the grass grow.
The biographies that TDMM and I created show exactly what our players can do.

Here's your quick analysis of each team's top-6 forwards....

Vanek-Haynes-Ward vs. Courtnall-Pederson-Harris
- the centers are close, but Pederson's edge in offensive skills outweigh Haynes' well-rounded play
- Vanek is a much better scorer than Courtnall, and that's pretty much all they bring to the table
- Ward is much better than Harris in every aspect of the game I can think of

Sandford-Smith-Wiseman vs. Corson-Staal-Courtnall
- Smith's scoring power outweight's Staal's defensive skills
- Sandford and Corson are quite comparable
- Wiseman is a much better offensive player than Courtnall

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote