Thread: Confirmed with Link: John Madden joins scouting staff
View Single Post
Old
09-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I understand the hire. I like the intention. I get why they chose Madden. I have no problem with hiring more staff. I'm not assuming Madden sucks at the job. I even said I like the hire, but I can't sit here and pretend that he will be excellent when there is nothing tangible to judge him by yet. The same way I didn't like Pierre McGuire as a GM candidate...no experience, nothing tangible to judge him by. I don't think being a good hockey player automatically qualifies you as having a good post playing career. Saying he will be excellent is just all guess work at this point.

I remember people saying that about Gretzky as a coach, they used to say "Imagine the best offensive player of all time teaching and grooming offensive players." It's not scouting, but it was a similar judgement. We assumed his playing talents would translate into his post playing job.
I agree with your point in general, but the key difference here is that Madden, presumably, understands the NCAA game a whole lot better than most former players (even former NCAA players) since he went through the entire four years there. He also likely has more contacts, which are instrumental for scouts at that level.

Even if he winds up being a poor to average talent evaluator, his contacts and regular presence beats a good talent evaluator. Theoretically, Timmins could scout X player for a couple of games, realise he's a good talent, dispatch a regional amateur scout + Madden to confirm his evaluation, then have Madden follow up to close the deal, so to speak.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote