Thread: Improving speed
View Single Post
Old
09-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Stickchecked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with stretching before you warm up. Especially static stretching. Stretch after workouts, not before.
YES, YES, YES. Do not stretch before a workout. Especially cycling, there is no point. Just add a longer warm up period.

I was a competitive cyclist for many years starting at age 16 and I'm going to have to disagree with using cycling to help develop explosiveness/speed in hockey. The bike does not work the same muscles as hockey, it is a very linear activity and really ignores the groin muscles. Personally, I've had to deal with significant muscle imbalances that have led to injury because my groin muscles and supporting muscles aren't strong enough to keep up with the power my quads can generate.

If the question is improving skating speed, squats, plyo, foot speed drills, on-ice sprinting, that's what you want to focus on first and foremost. I would also make sure your core is strong enough to support your leg power, especially transverse abs.

Not to say the bike can't help your hockey game a lot. But I would look at it from the cardio side. Personally, I focus on longer intervals, ~5min at my anaerobic threshold. This really helps keep me maintain a high effort level on the ice and avoid getting gassed on most shifts.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote