Thread: Prospect Info: Edmonton's young blueliners.
View Single Post
Old
09-10-2012, 09:47 AM
CupofOil

vCash: 500
We are talking POTENTIAL here, not necessarily what they are likely to be at the NHL level so i'll say..... Keep in mind that a lot of this is guessing since i (and most of you as well i'm sure) have seen these guys only a handful of times although i've seen Schultz a bunch on game replays.

Schultz - Top pairing, possible #1 offensive wizard who can also play well in his own end 5 on 5 and on the PK. 40-50+ pt potential. I honestly see a lot of Doughty in his game (not saying that he'll be as good, just comparing styles).

Klefbom - Top pairing, 2 way defenseman who can possibly play on the PP as he develops more. 30-40 pt potential along with solid defense. I was very impressed with him at the WJC but need to see more. I really wish he would have come over and played in the AHL this season.

Marincin - 2nd pairing at the most, VERY outside chance of being more. I admittedly have seen little of him but from what i've seen, he has a long way to go, really needs to fill out a lot in the next 2-3 years if he wants to hold down a steady NHL job. I will say though, that he has a lot of excellent tools but is extremely raw. He's a real wild card.

Gernat - I honestly have no idea, it's a big wait and see on him. He has a very good offensive skillset but has little defensive awareness at this point in his career and i'm honestly not sure if he'll ever develop that part of his game. In fairness, he's still very young and has plenty of time to develop his overall game but based on what i've seen of him, he's not as polished as his Slovak counterpart was in his rookie season and has a very long way to go. Fun player to watch though.

Musil - I like him the most out of the second tier D prospects. He has a very polished, pro style game. He is easily the safest best of the 2nd tier guys to be a solid, regular NHLer.
I see him as a virtual shoe in to be at least a 3rd pairing guy and likely a 2nd pairing guy.

Teubert - I'm not sure about him. I do like that he's mean and can skate well for a big man but he lacks something that is almost required for defensemen and that's hockey sense, he has very little of it and it's what will separate him from Musil eventually. It's a shame because he has all the physical tools to be exactly what we need on the blueline but i just don't see him being a regular NHLer.

I know very little about Bigos, Davidson, Simpson, LaLeggia etc. so i'll reserve judgment until i watch them play.
Simpson looked understated in the one game i saw him against Schultz's Wisconsin team and LaLeggia looked pretty dynamic in the one game i saw of him but he's awfully small.

Oh, forgot about Fedun. There's no doubt that he was impressive last preseason but i really know nothing about him outside of that so he's a perfect case of show me more but i'm intrigued.

Last edited by CupofOil: 09-10-2012 at 10:01 AM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote