View Single Post
Old
09-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Skk82

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
I get that Staal forced the trade, but our lineup got worse for next year and that's typically how I like to look at deals. Does this trade help us win a Stanley Cup next season? It doesn't...and neither does the Michalek deal.
With you on the Michalek deal- although it was probably perceived by management that ZM wasn't a good fit for the Pens "style" of play and may not have been the best fit culturally in the lockeroom. (Which I think you can take or leave either point). But still, they traded away a top 4 defenseman and haven't replaced him, that can't be considered a good thing.

Regarding the Staal trade, it is a step back if you look at just 1 year, no doubt the Pens lineup is less likely to win a Cup now. But it's probably a wise move, in terms of asset management, to get control of Sutter for the next 3-4 years PLUS add a top 10 pick PLUS add a Hobey Baker finalist...

Better to be a very good team for a longer amount of time than just try to load up and keep Staal for one more run and watch him walk for nothing. Especially if, worst case scenario, the lockout wipes out the year, no changes to UFA are made and Staal walks without even getting the 1 more shot at the Cup. That would be a disaster. At least Shero has covered bases by trading Staal for a very good 3C + 2 very good prospect chips that may/may not be of help to the team down the line.

The Staal deal makes a lot more sense for a contender than the Michalek. If anything, Staal had such a limited window of teams he'd consider extending with, Shero was lucky to pull back 3 solid assets in return for him. I think he should be commended for recognize Staal wasn't staying with Pittsburgh past next season and pulling the trigger at the right time to maximize the return.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote