View Single Post
Old
09-10-2012, 12:12 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I live in DC (and I know they're some of the best) and even though I was joking about those posts above in reality I can't stand everything about the American School System. The teachers, the principles, the administrators, etc. I hate every single one of them, I also can't stand the NCLBA and it gets loads of tax payer money with the only results for funding from effin "test scores". Do you think children like tests? No they want to learn, not read a bunch of information from a 600 page book that they will forget three years from now. More people are dropping out because they deem this pointless in their life when they can go to work at 17 and stay there, but sadly you need a college degree to get anywhere in life now.
Well, I suppose this gives me the answers to the questions I asked earlier, and the information I was looking for about your age, experience, and perspective. If I knew then, I'd have certainly responded to your original post differently. Your posts ring of youth and naiveté, and if that's who you are and where you're coming from right now I can accept that - it's no different than 99% of secondary students across the generations. I'll also agree that the system is doing lots wrong (especially DCSD), but paying teachers low salaries is one of the biggest.

Not sure I can agree with the juvenile point of view on testing, however. How else can our "system" measure performance and growth if not through testing? No one likes it, it isn't fun for anyone, but as you grow up you begin to realize that you don't forget as much of the stuff you want so badly to believe you'll forget, and you'll realize that your college degree isn't just a big hoop all the mean adults are making you jump through to get a good job. It's the commitment to and completion of a monumentally difficult task that is important to employers. If two people apply for a job I'm offering, each with equal work ethics, personalities, and skills, but one has a degree and the other dropped out, guess who I'm hiring. Guess why. NOT because he has a degree and is "smarter" because he has a degree, but because I know he won't get frustrated, throw a temper tantrum and quit on me because the job is "too hard" and its "pointless" and "no one ever uses this stuff anyway". The guy with the degree has proven he can take on an extremely difficult and huge challenge and see it through, whether he faced adversity, economic hardship, or self-doubt/intimidation by the scope of the task itself. This is why those with degrees get good jobs and those who drop out and go to work at 17 and stay there because of the ****** tests and system get to struggle & be jaded against their educated counterparts.

An issue with youth will always be that they're stubborn and stedfast in their viewpoints. The only things that get them where they're going and pulls back the blinders are time, experience, and maturity. And everyone gets there in their own time (this is why all the adults are on one side of the issue, and all the kids are on the opposing side. As the kids grow up, they become adults and start saying the adult stuff to their kids).

You and I are obviously on opposite sides of the spectrum in terms of our positioning. I can see where you're coming from and that helps me put this all into perspective. It's too bad though, that you hate me simply because I'm a teacher when my solitary professional goal is to help students and impact your lives in a positive way. Seems to be a little counterproductive and a little mis-aimed.

The good news is we're both avs fans and can work toward a common ground there. Look forward to reading more of you posts.

SuperTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote