View Single Post
Old
09-10-2012, 04:34 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Well, for one, you only list 3 seasons for Gilmour, when his career lasted 8 years.

For another, "points" from that era heavily favored goal scorers and Gilmour was a much better playmaker than goal scorer. In the two seasons for which SIHR reconstructed assists from newspaper accounts (1907-08 and 1908-09), Gilmour has 80% and 75% of #2 in assists, while being way behind in goals. This backs up the general perception of those who saw him play that Gilmour was one of the true stars of the era
ok, but you're the guy who convinced me to stop looking at goals and assists in a vaccuum in the first place. Points are much more important, and points are what I was talking about, right? I think you've also pooh-pooh'd thsoe reconstructed assists on numerous occasions in the past, is that correct?

Also, it was 7 years, unless you're counting junior or his two-game comeback from 1916. I used three years because he only had three seasons in a top league: 1903, 1908, and 1909.

He played a game in the 1905 FAHL, a league for which I'd be generous and count for a player this old, but it was just one game and he didn't score a point. Same with 1906 in the ECHA. I guess I should have included a "token" score for his one point in 1916 but I didn't think it would matter to anyone.

That leaves us with his university years. What do you suggest we do for those? 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907. If we assume he was probably as good as he was in 03, 08, and 09, then we could "assign" him scores of appoximately 28, which would make his six season "score" approximately 167. Which would better reflect his upside in comparison to these other top-9 forwards.

I'm only trying to be fair here.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote