View Single Post
Old
09-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
You answered your own post in the way I would have. I think the trade deadline is going to continue to cost GM's more and more and we've seen that in recent years. Think about what we paid for when we got guys like Guerin/Roberts and what they would get these days. A few years ago, Hossa/Kovalchuk/Campbell were traded at the deadline. The last few years, guys like Dustin Penner/Paul Gaustad were headliners. It's a changing market and teams know they might have to overpay to keep high end talent, so they'd rather do that then lose them unless a team will significantly overpay (see Paul Gaustad).

And again, how are we a better team to start the year unless you DIDN'T think Sid was going to come back at some point and play with us? So then ask this question add Sid to start last years team, and then look at the rosters. Are we really a "better" team? I just don't see it...

So can we get better? Absolutely but it's going to cost way more than it would've this offseason.
The Stanley Cup Champions traded for Jeff Carter this year. The Devils picked up Zidlicky. Vermette and Kostistyn were traded for picks and prospects. Philly got Grossman for picks. We got Neal just before the deadline last year. Big deadline deals are not dead and they really don't cost that much more than they used to.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote