View Single Post
Old
09-10-2012, 06:52 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord
You could call 2006 an adjustment year. I’m concerned that in 2007, at age 29 he was a 14-minute defenseman for a decent, but non-playoff team. They didn’t play him as much as Mathieu Dandenault, Francis Bouillon, Mike Komisarek or Craig Rivet. Anyway, I’m not calling into question his 2009 and 2010 years. They fall in that “mr. everything for a horrible team” category (which Barry Gibbs, Robert Picard, Eric Brewer, Jocelyn Guevremont, Dave Ellett and Bruce Driver all had a couple of – McSorley even had one), and they aren’t worthless. He didn’t deserve any all-star votes, but you guys know that too. But it really appears he was a late bloomer, because he was so much more valuable at ages 31-32 than at ages 29-30, and what does that say about ages 20-27? I know you guys like to say there is more to his resume than 2006-2012, but how sure can we be of that?
My guess is that Streit had trouble adjusting to the long NHL schedule, so coaches limited his ice time at first. He already proved he could excel against NHL-level talent in short tournaments in the 2005 World Championships and 2006 Olympics.

As for his 2009 and 2010 seasons, my own opinion is that they are examples of a guy actually being underrated because his team was so bad. He plays the exact same way for a better team, he might have gotten more votes, not less. So no, I wouldn't agree that he didn't deserve to receive any All Star votes those seasons. But there is no way to prove either of us right, so I would go with what the record actually says

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote