View Single Post
Old
09-11-2012, 02:01 PM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
Lupul, Grabovski - a high 1st (Not top5, but a top 10 is possible):
I'm gonna take some heat for this, but they are legit top6ers.. Look at the return of somewhat similar players lately. Richards returned Schenn (5th ov)+other pieces. Carter got Voracek+8th ov. Ok.. Richards and Carter are a bit more valuable, but that's why they got the extra pieces to go along with the picks.
You might well be right.. Lupul and Grabovski might be a poor man's Richards and Carter, and a poor man's return might be commensurate with their value.

But I think you wouldn't see many deals like that because of the way these assets (top ten draft picks and competent top six forwards) get handled. Few teams are ever in a position to deal a young, productive top six forward away without replacing him with another NHL player so deals like the Richards and Carter trades are pretty rare; furthermore teams don't often trade top ten draft picks (or recent top ten draft picks in the case of Brayden Schenn) unless they can package them with something to acquire something they see as having greater value - so establishing the value of the picks themselves is tough.

In any event, all of this is exactly why we probably won't see the Leafs dealing Lupul or Grabovski for the type of return that would contribute some factual basis to this kind of thread.. they will need to replace them with NHL players and even if they didn't teams usually want to use picks like that to acquire players they can build around (no offense to Lupul or Grabovski but I see them as high end complementary players).. like Richards, Carter or Jordan Staal.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote