View Single Post
Old
09-11-2012, 05:09 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
The Jets have more than enough natural centers on the roster (Little, Jokinen, Antropov, Burmistrov, Slater, Wellwood, not to mention potentially Cormier/Scheifele).

Gagnon is a terrible NHL player. Really really really terrible. Small, slow, bad hands, bad defensively, struggles in almost all aspects of the game, cannot keep up. I don't get how him being not good enough to play top 6 even in the AHL is a plus (I assume that's what you mean by "spent time playing in a defensive role). He is not a defensive first type of player, he is just not good enough to play a top 6 role in St. John's it's not like he is a defensive player.

He was quite easily the worst player to don the new Jets uniform to date, by quite a margin as well, IMO. As I said, if the management cannot see that I would SERIOUSLY question their talent evaluating ability.

I was not making that much of a point about Machacek, but if it is on top of all the above factors, the reason Machacek is not in the NHL, it is just pouring salt in the wounds.

Anyways, back on topic. Love seeing Machacek being back, I seriously think he has very very solid Chad LaRose type upside (gritty, hardworking, knack for the net, 20-20 3rd line winger). Exactly what our 3rd line could use. Has been my favourite prospect we got from ATL since day 1.

Also MOD NOTE, I'm merging this with the signing thread, no need for two threads on Machacek on the top page.
I didn't have any issues with Gagnon when he played. Like most of our callups, Noel sheltered him heavily and I thought he played pretty well. I definitely didn't think he was the worst guy to suit up for the squad. I would save that title for Kenndel McArdel.

The numbers didn't hate Gagnon either. Obviously numbers in a small sample don't mean much, but Gagnon (statistically) played against slightly tougher opposition than Mach and faired far better better at possesion hockey. An On-Ice Shooting % of zero compared to Mach's 26.3 was the big difference.

The Jets do have a glut of centres, but only Slater is good at faceoffs.

I would favor Mach for the last roster spot, but I am not sold on him. Honestly, I'd rather have Fehr or just about anybody that has proven to do well in tough roles.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote