View Single Post
Old
09-11-2012, 09:30 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
You were probably still stinging from Avery’s antics. Or was it 1997? Nah, it was probably 1994. :

Oh, hell, I would have seen Streit only when he played against the Leafs (4X a year) and when he played in the playoffs (not in 4 years). I would never go out of my way to watch the Islanders play and if I did, I wouldn’t admit it.

But that wouldn’t make me different from any of us, at least I don’t think so.
It would definitely make you different from some of us, or have you forgotten where I live and what team I'm a fan of? Islanders and Devils fans tend to a a mutual fondness for each others' teams (the enemy of my enemy is a friend), both teams are often shown on the same channel (back to back when they play at different times), and all three NYC area teams share pregame, postgame, and intermission reports now as a cost cutting move. So I probably saw all or most of about 15-20 Islanders games a season in 2008-09 and 2009-10, as well as probably about 40 Islanders postgame reports each year. When I say I remember Streit more as an Islander than a Canadien, I mean it.

Quote:
Anyway, I would say Staal was better in 2010, he was already getting the reputation as one of the most solid defensemen in the NHL, obviously in ’09 he was still green but I find it hard to believe Streit would usurp Roszival or Redden, who had for three years been #1/2 defensemen on very strong teams while he had been #5-6 on a very mediocre one.
You find it hard to believe Streit would usurp Wade Redden, who was sent to the minors the following season? Staal was up and coming defensively, but Streit was easily more valuable overall at the time.

Quote:
Martin in 2009 played 3.5 minutes more than anyone else – on a 104 point team! Let’s not downplay that. In the three seasons prior and the last two (so ignoring an injury-wrecked season) he has earned at least 23 minutes a game, always for teams that earned home ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs.
Are you seriously lecturing me on how the 2008-09 Devils operated? I'm well aware of Paul Martin's importance to that team; he was the only defenseman on the team who didn't handle the puck like a grenade, so he was extremely valuable. But as an overall performer, I don't see him as any better than the 2011-12 version of Andy Green.

Quote:
I doubt he could have anchored the defense corps of their teams just because he anchored that of the Isles, especially when the Montreal coaching staff trusted him with 16 minutes a game over the two previous seasons.

It’s possible he needed the exact situation he walked into on Long Island, to thrive.
It's possible he could only thrive on the Islanders. It's also possible that the Montreal coaching staff had a deep defense and was reluctant to trust a small European who had spent his entire career on the big ice surface with major minutes.

I'm really surprised by this fairly widespread view that Streit was nothing more than an offensive defenseman on a bad team. Stats aside (+5 on a team that was -79 in 2008-09), did nobody watch the Switzerland vs Canada and Switzerland vs USA games in the 2010 Olympics?

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote