View Single Post
Old
09-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
It's one thing to drop the ball, and this will undoubtedly hurt their bottom line. I don't discount that gamers should be disappointed.

But as a hardcore gamer that absolutely hates the fact that the idea of gamer entitlement is absolutely true I encourage you to take some perspective and realize that you were inconvenienced in a video game.

I know the hobby is still (slowly...) continuing to mature, but having people going around claiming that it's false advertising and in general raging about it does little to help this. (note, it's not false advertising, but I know consumers feel that if they can somehow threaten the reputation or bottom line of a company, it'll make said company pay more attention to their complaints).

I know it seems like I'm unfairly picking on you specifically, but I see it everywhere and it only helps marginalize the entire community when an actual serious issue does occur.

Talk about a first world problem if something that makes us so irate is not getting to play a new video game the very instant it comes out.

I'm massively jacked for the new XCOM game, to which I even preordered it which is something I have only done like 3 or 4 times in my 20+ year gaming history. But if the Steam servers all exploded and I wasn't able to play it that day, especially due to technical issue, life goes on. Sometimes **** happens. If this is something that makes a person fly off their rocker, how the hell do people deal with popping out of the shower and learning that a sibling was killed that evening? Maybe I'm just extra edgy myself since that's exactly what happened to me on this day 18 years ago, and it seems kind of ironic for a hardcore gamer as myself to have to tell others "it's just a video game" but frankly it needs to be said.

One thing I have definitely not liked as the world has become more connected is how much more instant gratification everyone seems to have become, and as a game developer I honestly don't know what to think about people that almost froth at the mouth for new game releases.

I mean, I guess it's nice that someone wants the game THAT badly, but I don't know what to think of some of the people that go absolutely bonkers that I just don't know how to describe it.

Anyways, my two cent rant. It's just video games people. Amazing way to kill sometime and my preferred form of entertainment by far. But keep some perspective.
I'm not raging that I didn't get my copy on time. I'm raging because I didn't want to leave home and get it at 10 am in the morning. But the fact it wasn't up until 10 am makes me feel like I should have just preordered it from best buy. Either way, I'm not mad anymore because I'm getting a refund for the game on the psn. So I'm fine now.