View Single Post
Old
09-11-2012, 11:18 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
still far though, still very far. Edmonton have enough young big defensive defenceman in their prospect pool, not all will pan out I do understand.

I know it was Gudbransons rookie season but that +/- is scary for a team that went ro the playoffs.
If you actually watched the Panthers he was even more unimpressive than that +/-. I frequently watched them in the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs, and was shocked at how this guy was a top-5 draft pick.

He's got nice size, decent mobility, and a good reach - but his puck-moving ability, hockey IQ, and overall defensive "presence" are practically non-existent. This isn't a guy you take in the top-15 of the NHL draft (similar to Luke Schenn) - he's someone you take in the 20's-40's, allow to cultivate over 5-6 seasons, and be happy with when they become a solid top-4 defenseman (Jan Hejda for example).

To me he's a B-level prospect on that team (barely) - along the likes of a Bjugstad or Petrovic.

If the Panthers wanted Yakupov it'd have to start with one of Markstrom/Kulikov/Huberdeau and include a B-level guy coming this way.