View Single Post
Old
09-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

vCash: 500
Not sure if I can help in this, but the current NHL is more my speed than the history right now (obviously). As someone that is from the same metro area as TDMM and who has lived with an Islanders fan for a few years, I've seen way too many Isles games over the last 7 or 8 years...

Streit didn't see a ton of time as a (NHL) youngster in Montreal, but that was a product of their depth and Streit's inexperience. He was also used at forward at times for the Habs, if memory serves...when Souray moved on, Streit took some more of the offense and performed admirably (out-scored Markov on his own team despite 7 less minutes per game). Streit wasn't exactly a rock defensively and didn't face quite as tough minutes as Markov, but his transition game and his ability to jump in to the play was even better than Souray's ability the year before...

The next year, Streit's first with the Isles, the entire team ran through him...he led the team in scoring by a sizeable margin and was the catalyst for all of the team's transitional offense...the team was an unmitigated disaster in all facets, between the goalie carousel and the injuries and the whole bit, but Streit was a standout on the team and just did absolutely everything for them...

Not that I take any stock in plus/minus at all...but look at the TOI, Streit was a +5 on a team that was a -78...normally I wouldn't even find that to be too amazing, but look at the guys that spent anywhere near that much time on the rink: TOI: Streit 1866 (+5), Gervais 1490 (-15), Witt 1320 (-34), Park 1219 (-13)...I mean, who was on the ice with this guy?

He's always been way better than Rozsival (who I saw was brought up in this thread), better than Redden in his dwindling years (obviously), better than Staal in 2009 and 2010, and probably narrowly better than Martin in the same time period...if that's what we're going for...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote