View Single Post
Old
09-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Did the Avs really develop him though? As with many Avs prospects, their offensive skills seem to develop OK, and that was the case with Shattenkirk. However, his defense was almost unbelievably bad when he was with Colorado. That corrected itself within one season in the StL organization.

The same could be said for Boychuk. He muddled around in Colorado's organization for years, went to Boston's organization for one year, at which point he was a regular NHL player playing solid defense.

The Avs drafted OK here, but couldn't develop the players. In fact, I'd put out a call for anyone to identify one single defenseman who the Avs both drafted and developed into a good defender.

-AB
I think it's a bit misleading. It's not like the Avs have put a HUGE focus on drafting d-men and failed. In the past 12 years (up to and including the 2000 draft) the Avs have drafted :

107 players in total
60 forwards (56.0%)
34 d-men (31.8%)
13 goalies (12.2%)

Of those 34 d-men, only TWO were drafted in the first round (Siemens #11 and Shattenkirk #14) and the only others to even crack the top 50 is Cohen at #45, Elliott at #49 and Gaunce at #50. So of those 5 players, Cohen is already gone and the jury is still out on Elliott, Siemens and Gaunce, I'd say that not bad.

It's not like the Avs are using up all their top picks and trying desperately to draft and develop d-men and are failing hard. They are taking chances on guys in the later rounds and it's not going their way. Luckily, they've done well with forwards in the later rounds...we should be thankful for that.

When you compare the Avs overall drafting to say...the flames, who haven't drafted and developed a top 6 forward in 20 years (1992 -Cory Stillman) and only have Dion Phaneuf, Derek Morris and Toni Lydman to show for their drafting for the last 20 YEARS, I'd say I'm not too worried about it.

At least the Avs are able to make moves to address holes. All the flames can do is overpay for average players like wideman and hand out free no-trade clauses like candy on halloween.

Avs
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00005307.html

flames
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00005090.html