View Single Post
Old
09-12-2012, 01:41 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
This is what I saw too during those two seasons. Martin is the only one who would give me pause, but I think Streit was probably better. I realize Redden would still be in the NHL as a depth player if there were no salary cap, but the idea that he was better than Streit during the one and only season when Streit had a legit case as a top 5 defenseman in the league is baffling to me.
The numbers and perceptions don't match in this case. I realize the perception about Redden is that he was in a freefall, but the numbers show him to be very solid and steady as of 2009. His "hockey card stats" went into the tank much sooner than any other part of his game, from the looks of things.

And if Streit was arguably top-5 I sure wouldn't say that this is questionable (because Redden was no longer in that class), but I don't think he was arguably top-5. A closer look at the numbers suggests that many all-around defensemen should be viewed as better. Not everyone had his offensive impact, but his defensive impact was, overall, probably still on the below average side with all things considered.

Anyway, you guys are using Streit "properly" so we're probably wasting energy on this as of now.

Last edited by seventieslord: 09-12-2012 at 01:52 PM.
seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote