View Single Post
Old
09-12-2012, 02:48 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I'm not sure where you're getting 4 years from since the rebuild essentially began with the 2009 draft, the trading of Ryan Smyth and Sakic's subsequent retirement. It's been THREE years not 4.
My thought process there is that the Avs have 7 veteran defensemen signed, and I don't see any of the 4 young guys getting a lot of NHL ice time this season. Hence, the 4th season of the rebuild may very well go by without us seeing too much of the 4 young guys. Perhaps not, but short of major injury, I think it's certainly quite possible. So, I was projecting to May 2013. Sorry if I made that confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
To be perfectly honest, how anyone can be unhappy with what we've done with our team since 2009 is absolutely beyond me.
My motivation to contribute to this thread didn't come from an unhappiness with the rebuild, but rather came more from peoples' insistence that this defense is decent when compared to other NHL teams. It isn't, IMO.

I will confess that my confidence that the Avs can develop defensive defensemen prospects Siemens and/or Gaunce into good NHL defenders (or my confidence that the Avs can develop offensive defensemen prospects Elliott and Barrie into acceptable NHL defenders) isn't high, because the Avs have not been able to do so in the past. In 18 years of drafts since the Avs came to Colorado, who do you think is the best example of a defenseman they drafted and developed into a solid NHL defender? You know who I think it is? JM Liles. Or maybe Martin Skoula. Ouch. Not glowing examples of good NHL defenders - and we had to go back at least 13 drafts to come up with even those lousy examples. In 18 years, is it out of the realm of possibility that the Avs could draft and develop ONE blueline guy into a quality NHL defender? With that almost two decade record, where does the confidence come from?

This is why I don't necessarily share the confidence a lot of people have in here that the 4 young guys are going to develop into quality NHL defensive players. If they do, that's great. But if they do, it'll require the Avs organization to have lost its long-held virginity in this respect.

-AB

Last edited by ABasin: 09-12-2012 at 03:02 PM.