General Predators Talk Part II
View Single Post
09-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Top 6 Spaling
Join Date: Jun 2010
Originally Posted by
Wow. Rip on Weber all you want but if it's hockey related in any way shape or form these guys are prohibited from participating. Since it's ties into the preds foundation he may not legally be allowed to participate.
It's great that mason will go or at least says he will.
We have to remember weber is part of the players negotiating and in NY right now. He has to do what's right for the players association right now and it sucks. Bashing a guy for toting the line with other players is a bit much.
I am astonished at the amount of animosity being thrown at him. He signed an offer sheet. Big freaking deal. We matched. He's going to be here long term. Do you think Avs fans held this much of a grudge against Sakic for signing an offer sheet?
I know we're bored and have nothing to talk about but this is ridiculous.
I really do see where you're coming from Glenn, and maybe I am a bad person for it, but yes, I am going to hold a grudge for awhile. I don't want to turn this into a Weber thread (like every other thread right now), but I think there are some valid points on both sides of the argument. You have made some good ones for yours. Let me make a few for mine.
1. It has been reported that Poile was looking to trade Weber before the OS, implying Weber wanted out. Poile wouldn't have been trying to deal him if Weber wanted to be here.
2. Weber talked about nothing but wanting to be in Nashville, but when it came down to it, did not sign a deal with us. Lots of talk, not a lot of walk. Yes, he is here, but if he really wanted to be here, he should have come to us and said "Here is Philly's offer. Match the $$ and term and I won't sign the OS." Would have saved us a lot of trouble and frontloading, and kept him from the backlash he is getting now.
3. The OS Weber signed was structured specifically to target the Nashville market so we could not match. Say all you want about his agent being the one negotiating the deal, Weber put his signature on a deal that made us pay a 13mil signing bonus the second he put pen to paper. If he knew that, he knew it was going to be VERY hard for us to match, and if he didn't know that, he is foolish for letting his agent run negotiations.
4. For the first time EVER, a player didn't immedietly sign his matched OS. Weber held out after we just forked over a crazy sum of money for a small market team to keep him here. He matched, suck it up and sign.
5. After putting the franchise is a nearly impossible spot, he has the gall to demand a NTC. If you wanted a NTC, just sign the deal with the same $$$ and term with us, not an OS (see #2).
6. Suter left the franchise, and we all, fair or not, expected Weber to step up and lead this team. He didn't. He went out and signed an OS aimed to be un-matchable less than a month later.
That is why I am upset with him, and I think it's safe to say I speak for many others here. The truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle, with both sides having a point.
Top 6 Spaling
View Public Profile
Top 6 Spaling's albums
Find More Posts by Top 6 Spaling