Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: Caps extend Troy Brouwer (3 years, $3.666M cap hit)
View Single Post
Old
09-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Jimmy McNulty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
There is a lot more to hockey than just scoring goals. This is why deals like this are quite ubiquitous and fair.
Absolutely, and forgive me for perhaps not giving Brouwer all of the credit that he deserves. I still think it's just too much for what he brings to the table.

I wouldn't want Cal Clutterbuck making $3 million on my team, let alone closer to $4 million. Granted, Brouwer is probably a better overall player than Clutterbuck, but I still think there's a comparison to be made there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Anyway, people need to come to terms with the higher value of "role players" in today's NHL. It seems like every time a guy like this signs, it's deemed an overpayment. Prust, Samuelsson, Winnik, more recently Marchand. There are plenty of examples from last year too. Outside of the occasional hometown discount or the like, this is the new reality for role players.
I'm well aware. I don't post a lot here, but I read through enough posts on July 1st, etc. to see that every reply to a signing is "OH, look at that stupid GM overpaying for so-and-so, have fun missing the playoffs!" or "$x.xx million for so-and-so, what a joke!" It happens every year. And yes, I agree that most people fail to realize the value of players relative to the salary cap and the average player salary!

With that said, I just don't or can't think of Troy Brouwer being a $3.6 million player. Even if I go back a few years when the cap was lower, I don't picture him being a $3 million player. This is just one of those instances that legitimately seems like an overpayment to me.

Last edited by Jimmy McNulty: 09-12-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Jimmy McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote