View Single Post
Old
09-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Can you name which Russian players in the AHL were not released? There are generally no junior age Canadians playing in the AHL so I don't know how significant the numbers are for junior age Russians in the AHL are. In most circumstances junior age players (any nationality) if not on the NHL roster must be returned to their junior team. So, give me specifics, names, years...

Russians don't generally view the AHL as a developmental league anyway, most Russian players playing junior in Canada, if the option comes up, AHL or return to Russia? They almost always return to Russia. Russian players tend to see the AHL as a league where talent goes to die.

The only player I can think of is LA D-man Voynov. He played in the 09 WJHC, but not in 2010. But they also didn't release Drew Doughty 2 years in a row. Granted Drew was with LA and not the AHL affiliate. Now, believe me, I understand how frustrating it is when teams do not release players to their national teams...
To name a few, Aleksandr Avtsin, Yegeniy Grachev, Voynov. I can't think of a single Russian player in the AHL who was ever released to play in the WJC. I don't have a problem with them saying that a player is in a pro league, and that releasing him to a junior tournament is not in the best interest of the pro team. But the fact is that nearly all AHL GM's are Canadians, so if they are releasing Canadians like Nugent-Hopkins, its probably for the sole reason of giving Canada an advantage in the tournament.