View Single Post
Old
09-13-2012, 01:38 AM
Zorin

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Zorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
We do not have a prospect in our system as accomplished as Grigorenko was at the time of the crash.
Grigroenko owned two junior tournaments and was playing in the WCs on a line with Datsyuk as a 20-21 year old.

In successive years, we would have added
2001-02 - Datsyuk
02-03 - Zetterberg
03-04 - Grigorenko

Would Grigs have been as good as D or Z? While it's hard to say that now, at the time, we fully expected it.
We were looking at a mini-powerforward, built like a small Russian tank, who could skate fast, battle everywhere on the ice and score 30 goals. It's not hard to imagine a consistent 30 to 35-goal man
Never disputed that! At least I did not mean to. He was good. Very good!

But still the "Messias-Effekt" in the midst of a "prospect-drought" stll pushed the hype. I follow the Wings including their prospects for about 15 years now (Edit: Follow the wings for about 20 years. But the prospects for 15, I mean ). And the only guy who had as much hype surrounding him in that time was Z, I'd say. No Dats, no Flip, no Hudler or whoever. Granted he may also have been the best prospect the Wings HAD since the Fedorov/Lidström-Days. Was in the same league as Dats/Zett in that respect, I'd say.