View Single Post
Old
09-13-2012, 03:09 AM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
I would say there are a few differences between Carter and Luongo, mainly being that Luongo plays a position where you only get to play 1 guy at a time whereas Carter is just going to be 1 of your 12 forwards. There are going to be a lot more teams looking to fill a hole up front than to fill their goaltending hole. The Kings were having trouble scoring and thought Carter was a fit because of their ex Flyers connections and Mike Richards. A lot of other teams probably were leery of trading for Carter and had LA not been willing, Columbus would either still be sitting on Carter or would have gotten less if they felt they absolutely needed to trade him at the deadline. Carter's got a long contract like Luongo does, but like I said, you're picking up a guy that is going to be one of your top 6 forwards for a long time.

Most teams, when looking to acquire a goalie at the trade deadline, are looking for a backup goalie, not a starter. Because of his contract, you're obviously not trading for Luongo to be your backup, he's a long term commitment as your starter. Teams with an established starter who might be struggling or injured aren't going to look to acquire Luongo because they figure at some point their starter will rebound or will get healthy again. It might cost you for that particular season, but you don't trade for a guy with a contract like Luongo's because your starter, who is signed for multiple years more, might be out 3-4 months. That's the problem in hoping that the market will change. It's a small number of teams interested in Luongo now and those teams are likely going to be the ones interested in 6 months or a year from now.
Obviously there are some differences, as you've pointed out, but I still think the two situations are comparable. I would like to add that even if the number of teams in the market stays constant, it is very possible that the interest of those teams changes. I'm also not expecting a return as good as the Carter trade, I was more comparing the potential timing of each deal.