View Single Post
Old
09-13-2012, 04:06 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
To name a few, Aleksandr Avtsin, Yegeniy Grachev, Voynov. I can't think of a single Russian player in the AHL who was ever released to play in the WJC. I don't have a problem with them saying that a player is in a pro league, and that releasing him to a junior tournament is not in the best interest of the pro team. But the fact is that nearly all AHL GM's are Canadians, so if they are releasing Canadians like Nugent-Hopkins, its probably for the sole reason of giving Canada an advantage in the tournament.
Grachev played in the WJ in 09. And wasn't released in 2010. Voynov I mentioned, played as well in 09, but not in 2010. And as far as Avtsin is concerned, was he even a candidate for a national team? He had no experience with the national team on the U18 level and was hardly producing with Dynamo. As a 19 year old with Montreal's AHL team, he wasn't producing, was injured a lot and wasn't playing well. I doubt very seriously he was considered for the NT that Christmas.

Again, AHL teams and their GMs do not make the decision on whether to release or not release. The NHL GM does..the player is under contract to the NHL team. Don't start with that argument, "most are Canadians GMs and want to give Canada an advantage." It's an argument you'll lose all the time.... when Russian juniors on average 6-10 players per year are not released to their NT, then come and complain...but your 2 players max per year not being released, gets no sympathy from me..

In 2010 NHL GMs (mostly Canadian as you most eloquently pointed out) did not release 19 year Stamkos, Doughty, Tyler Myers and 18 year old players such as Tavaras, Matt Duchane, Evander Kane, Ryan O'Reilly, plus one or two others. There that's 7 players, And not just fringe players like your Grachev or Avtsin that really are not impact players what so ever... If anything Canadian GMs of NHL teams by not releasing Canadian teenagers to the Canadian NT make the WJHC more competitive and put Canada at a disadvantage compared to other countries.

And Anisimov was released by the New York Rangers/Hartford to play in the WJHC in 08 when he was 19 years old. Anisimov in his draft year (18 year old played in Yaroslavl. Drafted by New York, was assigned to Hartford as a 19 year old and released by the New York Rangers to his NT.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 09-13-2012 at 06:12 AM.