View Single Post
Old
05-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn
Hey that's the risk a team takes for signing a veteran over 35 to a long term deal. Look at NJ who will be taking a cap hit of $7 mill next season for Mogilny & Malakhov. They learned the hard way as well and will have cap issues now for next season. But now you won't find any players over 35 get more than 1 yr deals...probably for the rest of this CBA I bet.

Sure they don't have to pay the salary but it could impact how they can spend in the summer. First and foremost, if he retires, you need someone to replace him with. Let's just say that'll cost about the same as what Niewy would've gotten...$2.25 mil. That's less money in the supposed $10 million pool that Cohen was going to up spending on the team to upgrade the defense like so many of you want. But now what do you think if he retires with what I've brought attention to? Do you really think he was worth $4.5 million of cap space for just 1 season of play if he retires (heck he didn't even play the whole season)?
Soooo, with the Devs set to take a 7 mil hit against the cap for those 2, will they have enough room to re-sign Elias?? If not, I hope Keenan's all over that guy. He came back and Jersey was a whole different team, he's incredible. Plus, would be nince to get a Panther killer on the team so he can work for us instead of against. (*note, i do realize chances are beyond slim he'll come, but if there's a slight chance, i hope they jump)

Joe's not going anywhere yet!

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote