View Single Post
Old
09-13-2012, 07:26 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Yeah, it always looks so easy for those guys on my team and the teens and stick & puck - but it's easy to forget that they've been playing forever! I've been playing for 4 months. When I actually thought about it the other day and realized that in 4 months I've learned how to skate 1000X better, how to be accurate with the puck, how to get a little force behind it (not a lot, but much more than I had), how to pass and receive...etc. I'm shocked at the amount of difference in just 4 months!

I just do 100 shots because it's a nice round number. I've got 10 pucks. I set them up, shoot them all, then my little girl picks them up for me. If I tell her that after 10 sets she can practice, she's happy to help. If I just tell her I'm going to shoot for a while, she'll probably get bored and go away.

Both of my arms have that achy feeling from when you first work out after a long break. It's a nice achy feeling, not really pain.

My shot is getting way more accurate. If nothing else, I'll be able to hit the net more consistently than before. And some of my shots are getting more powerful. I'm sure that as the muscles get stronger, that will continue.

I think that I'm starting to get some lift on the shots. But I can't really tell, since between the practice pad and the net is about 15' of rocks. And a slightly raised rock path. There is lots of resistance on the puck between my stick and the net, I'm curious to see how it plays out on the ice tomorrow night. I figure that if I'm able to consistently get from my blade to the net despite the obstacles of the rocks, the path, and the fact that the net is tiny, it should make it much easier on the ice.

My son - who is 13 and legally blind, so he can't play hockey - has teased me a lot about being horrible. He said he was going to come watch me shoot so he could tell me how bad I am. Well, c'mon out, boy...He came out and I hit the net 9 out of 10 times. Then I did some slapshots and hit it 9 out of 10 times again, but with a louder thunk and a lot more speed. Then he took a shot. Totally missed the net.

I just wanted to do the Nelson laugh. Anyway, he expressed his admiration of my shooting, so now that makes me the cool mom (at least for a day or two).

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote