View Single Post
Old
09-13-2012, 11:36 AM
fuhr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
There was an awesome story in a THN mag several years ago where Mike Keenan gave a great account of the whole series.

One thing he mentioned was how he didnt know Coffey well and, for most of the tournament, didnt play him much. Prefering to rely on safer lesser-lights like Crossman.

At any rate, Keenan noted that Coffey accepted his role without complaint until the first game of the finals. When it became clear that these games were going to be played at an insane pace, Coffey waved Keenan over on the bench and simply said, 'you have to play me a lot now'. Keenan obliged and Coffey, as we know, was lights out.

Just a great story of a champion knowing when to turn it into high gear, and a coach recognizing when he had to turn his horses loose.
Few seem to remember that the Oilers and Flyers players were coming off the first seven game Stanley Cup Final in years and the toll those playoffs took on them, especially Edmonton's star players. They played a ton for the Oilers and as I've previously mentioned, it was Lemieux and the four Oilers that were being given ridiculous minutes but still producing at a very high level.

It's the one thing I have always loved about Kennan as a coach. He could always recognize who his thoroughbred players were and used them appropriately.

fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote