The Lockout Thread Part I
View Single Post
09-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Join Date: Jun 2007
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I am not opposed to this lockout lasting the whole season.
1. We'll be a lot better than last year and we'll be way tougher to play against, but we're still gonna lose a lot. I love the moves made by this organization this summer (can't believe I just wrote that). But, it's going to take some time.
2. The biggest reason we are going to suck is because most of our more skilled players are still very young. They need more development. They will get that this year in Juniors, the AHL, or overseas. They won't be thrown into the NHL fire. Ryan Johanson will be the biggest beneficiary of this.
3. I want to be good and have multiple all stars when we host the all star game. I'm not sure that happens this year. I'd rather wait a year or two.
4. We have 3 first round draft picks. I don't think we are going to be the worst team in the league, so I don't think we'll be picking first. I think we'd be in the 5-7 range. I also think LA and NYR are going to be picking in the 25-30 range. I like our chances of getting higher picks if the season is not played and they do a lottery, like in 05.
5. The NHL financial landscape is screwing teams like Columbus. My biggest goal as a fan is to follow a team that has the chance to win the Cup every year. Teams like Columbus will never have that chance as long as large market teams can get huge cable tv contracts without sharing. I would hope the small market owners will quickly realize the players are not the problem here, it's the big market owners who can get cable contracts in the hundreds of millions. One day some small market professional sports owner is finally going to have the nerve to say, "wait a minute Fox Sports, how many people do you think will watch the Kings play an intra-squad scrimmage on TV? Cause that's what's going to happen when small market teams like us stop traveling to LA."
The NFL is far and away the most popular and most successful league right now. Wanna know why? Every team has a chance to win every week. That's because the league doesn't let owners keep TV money, they split it all equally. When that happens in the NHL, Columbus will have a chance to win the Cup every year.
View Public Profile
Stretch Factor's albums
Find More Posts by Stretch Factor