09-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

vCash: 500
17. Goaltender Joonas Korpisalo
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 168
How Acquired: Selected in the 3rd round (62nd overall), 2012 NHL Draft

Analysis: For my liking, Korpisalo is a bit low on our list of top prospects, as I honestly would have him in the 10-12 range. The third rated European-raised goaltender available at the Draft, the Jackets jumped at the opportunity to select Korpisalo, in spite of the fact that they had drafted a goaltender in the prior round. Korpisalo has a big frame that will take some time to grow into, however he has solid fundamentals, good side to side movement, and quick reflexes. As with any young goaltender, Korpisalo will have to show that he can handle the mental rigors of being a professional player, however at this point the sky is certainly the limit.

Pros: Size, quickness/agility, fundamentally solid
Cons: Rebound control could use work, a bit of a long-term project.

Realistic Expectations: He'll continue to play in Finland (at least to start the year), after being selected in the CHL Import Draft by the Prince George Cougars of the WHL. Unfortunate for me, as I would have been able to keep a close eye on him - however, in Finland, he will be under the tutelage of some of the top goaltending coaches in the world, and in 2-3 years time, should be more than primed to make the jump to North America. His ceiling is that of a #1a type of goalie, though the next couple of years will go a long way in determining exactly where he fits into our organization.

Stylistic Comparison: Ryan Miller

(Don't get too excited, I said stylistic comparison; not future prediction )

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote