View Single Post
Old
09-13-2012, 09:23 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I just noticed this, but Jocelyn Guevremont on a PK in the MLD is just bad.
No worse than Joe Cooper quarterbacking the PP.

Guevremont isn't an ideal PK defenseman, but he is also on the second unit with three pretty good linemates. And by design, at the end of the PP the Twins roll out their 1st line and 1st D-pairing -- so you damn well better score on that opportunity because it will be coming right back at your team on the post-PP momentum shift. Across a 7-game series, those factors will balance out. And if he is absolutely unable to handle it, he can be benched for Brad Maxwell. No biggie.

Quote:
I'd also like to say the 2nd PP unit for Winston-Salem is very weak. Dustin Brown's career high in points is 60. Serge Bernier also broke 60 just once in his time in the NHL with 68 points.
Brown's total points are irrelevant. In 06-07 he was 11th among LWs in power-play goals behind Kovalchuk, Semin, Malkin, Ovechkin, Sedin, Smyth, Vanek, Blake, Huselius and Shanahan. In 07-08 he was 5th among RWs behind Kovalev, Knuble, Iginla and Sykora. Even last year he was a respectable 8th among RWs and only one PPG behind the likes of Kovalchuk, Gaborik and Daniel Sedin. On his own team he tied or outscored Kopitar all three of those seasons. In fact, hard as this is to believe, only once in their careers on the same team has Kopitar outscored Brown on the PP.

I don't blame you for underrating him -- I had no idea he was a PP goal scorer until I drafted him and noticed the numbers. The beauty of his placement here is that he might chip in a goal here and there, but he isn't meant to be the triggerman. His job is to cause a ruckus in front of the net, screen the goalie, cause pileups in the crease, and occasionally draw a 5-on-3. Even if he doesn't score a point in the game summary, he can do his job and lead the team to a goal.

Bernier is an obviously PP-worthy offensive player. His modest career-high in the NHL is a product of playing his peak years in the WHA, where he was among the leading scorers at a time when that meant something. Surely 122 points to Bobby Hull's 142 makes him adequate for an MLD second unit PP.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote