Old
09-13-2012, 10:45 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 1810
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
No worse than Joe Cooper quarterbacking the PP.
Upon further review, Robert Picard is a much better candidate for the 2nd PP unit. Picard will take Cooper's spot there.

Quote:
Guevremont isn't an ideal PK defenseman, but he is also on the second unit with three pretty good linemates. And by design, at the end of the PP the Twins roll out their 1st line and 1st D-pairing -- so you damn well better score on that opportunity because it will be coming right back at your team on the post-PP momentum shift. Across a 7-game series, those factors will balance out. And if he is absolutely unable to handle it, he can be benched for Brad Maxwell. No biggie.
I wouldn't call Dustin Brown a good 2nd unit PKer in the MLD. Here are his SH TOI/G ranks among forwards on his team: 14, 2, 4, 5, 7, 5, 5. That's actually pretty terrible now that I look at it. And LA's PK was below the league average in 4 of those years. They weren't good until the last 3 years, when Brown's usage was minimal at best.

Quote:
Brown's total points are irrelevant. In 06-07 he was 11th among LWs in power-play goals behind Kovalchuk, Semin, Malkin, Ovechkin, Sedin, Smyth, Vanek, Blake, Huselius and Shanahan. In 07-08 he was 5th among RWs behind Kovalev, Knuble, Iginla and Sykora. Even last year he was a respectable 8th among RWs and only one PPG behind the likes of Kovalchuk, Gaborik and Daniel Sedin. On his own team he tied or outscored Kopitar all three of those seasons. In fact, hard as this is to believe, only once in their careers on the same team has Kopitar outscored Brown on the PP.
I don't care where he ranked among LWs, where did he rank overall? 27th, 18th, 91st, 69th, 55th, and 27th. I'm supposed to be impressed by that? Brown's point totals are irrelevant? That makes no sense. The power play is about scoring goals. Whether you score them, or set them up, the more points you have, the better you probably are at the power play. Brown is not good here, at all.

Quote:
I don't blame you for underrating him -- I had no idea he was a PP goal scorer until I drafted him and noticed the numbers. The beauty of his placement here is that he might chip in a goal here and there, but he isn't meant to be the triggerman. His job is to cause a ruckus in front of the net, screen the goalie, cause pileups in the crease, and occasionally draw a 5-on-3. Even if he doesn't score a point in the game summary, he can do his job and lead the team to a goal.
Yeah, I really underrated him here.

Quote:
Bernier is an obviously PP-worthy offensive player. His modest career-high in the NHL is a product of playing his peak years in the WHA, where he was among the leading scorers at a time when that meant something. Surely 122 points to Bobby Hull's 142 makes him adequate for an MLD second unit PP.
Hull was 36 at the time and certainly past his prime. Adjust Bernier's best 2 WHA seasons to the NHL and you get 71 and 85 points. Passable, but average at best at this level.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote