View Single Post
Old
09-14-2012, 01:48 AM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
If McEneny wasn't signed before September 15th, he goes back into the draft next season. You're basically trading one lottery ticket (a draft pick) for another (a contract slot) without the potential that he gets snagged by another team.

Or, alternatively, he could have signed with another team and the Canucks end up with nothing.

I'd rather the team take a flyer like this on a player that was highly projected but not drafted because they were hurt than take a flyer on a guy who wasn't drafted simply because he wasn't good enough (like Tochkin).
Agreed entirely. Immediately after the 2011 draft I was whining that Gillis should have used the 7th round pick on Joey Laleggia, and signed Tommernes to a contract, if he was deemed worthy of one. It just makes sense (to me) to take the flyer on the college kid, and sign the overager European (because of the different rules in place for different leagues). This year Gillis did everything right, he took the flyers on college kids, and now he signed the junior kid after his 1st draft. If Mceneny has a big year this upcoming season, and we don't sign him now, he could easily get picked in the first 3 rounds. Good job, Gillis!

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote