View Single Post
Old
09-14-2012, 07:05 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in the Bigs View Post
The players put up this public image that they are totally unified in their belief that the latest proposal by the NHL is ridiculously unfair. It'd be interesting to know, if there was a secret ballot today of all NHL players, what percentage would say "Let's take it.", knowing that it is unlikely to get better.

They have to know they're never going to make up what they lose. I heard or read somewhere that something like 240 active players going in to the last lockout and the resulting lost season never played another game in the NHL. Not sure I can believe that number, and please correct me if it is out to lunch, but if that number is even close to accurate, and I'm one of lower echelon / older guys in the league, I think I know what my vote would be

I'm not really cheering for either side, like most of us, after 15 years without NHL here and 1 fun year last season, I'm just ticked there's not going to be a normal season this year, if at all ... at this point, I'm good with whatever is best for the Jets long term
I'm not sure if your number is accurate, but my understanding is the average NHL career is approx 5 years long, and there are approx 750 roster players based on current roster sizes so doing the math on average 150 current players would never play again if a season was lost.

Of course this is an over simplification but I think there are also a couple other factors working against older players at the ends of their careers. After a lost season there will be a double influx of young players comming in after playing in more a competitive AHL (young stars on entry level contracts will be playing) and from a more competive CHL (young potentials stars playing another year in juniors). There is limited oportunity for older journeyman players to ply their trade during a lockout. These are not the guys the KHL and Europen leagues are looking for for an undetermined possibly brief period of time.

Last edited by KingBogo: 09-14-2012 at 06:30 PM.