Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: Red Wings sign Abdelkader, 4 yrs @ $1.7 mill per
View Single Post
Old
09-14-2012, 08:29 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.75 Men

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
...Abdelkader can hold down the fourth line center role until Sheahan or Andersson are ready and is pretty good on the wing. For a guy that finished second on the team in hits, second on the team in faceoff percentage, is useful on the PK, plays up the lineup when injuries arrive and pops in the occasional goal I don't understand the hate. Seems people thought he was going to be a stud top 6 guy off his MSU glory. What he is has its uses but it seems he cannot win with half the fan-base.

Having both him and Helm locked up for what they are might be a touch high next season but can be real winning contracts down the line in my opinion.
Having seen a lot of Abdelkader over the years, from High School to college, the Griffins to the Wings, I'd say this is the fairest assessment of him in this thread. I'd love to have him on the Hawks, and a recent "comparable" would be Adam Burish, who some Hawks fans loved. His upside is higher, and Abdelkader has it all over Burish in nearly every facet of the game, as well as his contract (iirc).

His only problem is that he's not a replacement for Draper (but then again neither is Helm, nor was Hudler).

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote