Thread: Confirmed with Link: Stars re-sign Lehtonen (5 years/$29.5M)
View Single Post
Old
09-14-2012, 10:26 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
I don't understand how getting this deal done is so much easier, and cut n' dry when compared to Benn.

Still pleased with this though.
This is just a guess, but I do feel like this could be the reason ....

Benn's camp probably would prefer a long-term deal like you're seeing for Hall, Eberle, Seguin, etc.

The Stars would ultimately prefer a short, probably 2 year, bridge contract, but at the very least I believe they want to stick to no more than 5 years. If the owners get their way on contracts, Benn's camp would have to take that type of deal. Based on the high number of extensions for 6+ years in the last few weeks, I'd say agents feel like there's a real possibility of term limits on contracts.

This is just wild speculation ... but the other thing that could be holding this up is Benn and the Stars want him to play in the AHL during the lockout. The NHL and NHLPA have agreed that only players on two-way contracts can play in the AHL in the event of a lockout. That means players like Larsen and Bachman who recently signed one-way deals can't play in Austin. We all know Jamie loves the novelty of playing with his brother. I for one wouldn't be shocked to see him sign a contract with the Texas Stars, but that couldn't happen if he's signed with Dallas.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote