View Single Post
Old
09-14-2012, 12:41 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Obviously it didn't work out, but I still think trading for Carter was the right move at the time. Columbus was desperate for a star, or somebody to shoulder the workload not named Rick Nash, and they got it, without giving up too much. People are going to say that they should have gotten a centre to compliment Nash but newsflash - it's not easy to trade for #1 centres in this league.
Voracek is a good player, but I don't think he's anything special. Same goes for Couturier - he looks amazing now that he jumped from juniors to the NHL, and I like him a lot, but I have a hard time seeing him as anything more than a 2nd/3rd line guy (kind of like Voracek). In any event, the Jackets didn't trade Couturier, they traded the pick, so it's not fair to hold the fact they missed Couturier against them. Columbus didn't decide what the other teams would do at the draft.

As far as trading away Carter goes, they got a really good package - at least, better than anyone expected from the horrible season Carter was going through. Not that I think Johnson is a stud or anything and I wonder if they shouldn't have been more patient with Carter, but at least they cut their losses and got something of value.

The Nash trade was mind-bogglingly stupid, and this is coming from someone who thinks Nash has always been overrated. Anisimov and Dubinsky are average players and Erixon's an average prospect. Nash, while not the scoring god some paint him as, is worth far more than a few average players, the likes of which can usually be found every year in free agency. The worst part about it is that Howson appeared to be haggling for months - from before the deadline to the offseason - and really playing hardball...and this was the best he could do? No Kreider, McDonagh, Del Zotto, Stepan or Hagelin? What on earth was he holding out for?

So there's my take. Some good, some bad. Maybe events have conspired to make the trades worse than they would have been ordinarily (Carter sucking it up, Couturier slipping) but in the end, all that matters are the results.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote