Thread: Confirmed with Link: Stars re-sign Lehtonen (5 years/$29.5M)
View Single Post
Old
09-14-2012, 01:12 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
I don't care for this deal. Not one bit.

There's enough decent goaltenders in the league that the Stars could have found someone for 2-3 million short term to give them decent a performance until Campbell is ready. Goaltending performance is just too volatile to predict, taking a gamble on Lehtonen is risky even though he's been great for us so far.
I think the Chicago Blackhawks would disagree. Being cheap with goaltenders has taken them from a Stanley Cup Contender to just a good team that flames out in the playoffs.

There is no universal rule with goalies. Some teams win without them, some teams don't. When you have a guy that works as hard as Lehtonen has for this team, buys in 100% to your ideas, and he's your MVP ... you pay him. You got him for quite a bit less than the market value for a goalie. Those contracts I came up with were players mostly re-signing with their teams. On the open market, there's no question Lehtonen would have commanded top dollar ... likely up to $1+ million more a year.

More importantly ... it's not an albatross contract. Dallas has a comparatively small payroll to 75% of the teams in the league. A guy eating up a large chunk of cap space has to be an impact player. It's hard to argue that no one has made a bigger impact on Dallas in two years than Kari Lehtonen.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote