View Single Post
Old
09-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Well then EJ was dead wrong. He points out one attribute that McIrath and Stevens share toughness. To say that he maybe Stevens skill is 1) a hypothetical and 2) misguided as Stevens was coming off a 42 point season when he drafted while McIlrath had 24 points.

Regardless, anyone who hoped that McIrath would turn into another Scott Stevens when he was drafted is bound to be sorely disappointed. And I like McIlrath and I didn't mind the pick.
I think this will be most people's view in five years. I wasn't crazy about the pick at the time, but I think it's safe to say that Gordie Clarke is a bit more knowledgeable about analyzing young hockey players than I am ;-). I think he will become a solid #4 who plays hard, hits, and defends his teammates. He has fan favorite written all over him as long as his game progresses well enough. Look at a guy like Beukeboom - how many Ranger fans have any bad things to say about a guy like that? Most people here are pumped just to see Beuk become an assistant coach in Hartford, and would gladly have the Rangers sign his son - based largely on family reputation.

As long as Tarasenko doesn't become a super star and Gormley doesn't become a perennial Norris Trophy candidate (I'm not a big Fowler fan, so I left him off), then I think most people will like this pick in the end. It may not be fair to Mcilrath, but his name will be tied to those players for years when it comes to knowledgeable Ranger fans.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote