View Single Post
Old
09-14-2012, 06:21 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly7 View Post
I would look this trade over and think about a center or prospect center that NYI are willing to trade because that is our biggest need at the moment.
As much as I'd need multiple trips to the laundromat seing Tavares & Ryan on the same line, you just hit the nail on the head as to why an Isles-Ducks swap is hard to eke out.

The Ducks need a center - this is known. The Islanders centers and center prospects include Tavares, Bailey (if converted back to C from LW), Cizikas, Nielsen, Strome, Nelson, Lee (I think), Ullstrom and a few others less shiny. The only *currently* proven NHLers here are Tavares & Nielsen, as Bailey's had some ups & downs. Unless the Isles were willing to give up Strome, there's not a lot as center that tips the scales. Since the Ducks aren't thinking of blowing up the roster for younger players, Strome isn't the most interesting piece in a trade, despite his high probablility at being an upper mid/high end #2C/#1RW.

I want Ryan on the Island....badly. BUT the only possible huge trade going down between these two teams (IMO) is one involving the Isles' #1 pick next year. If the Islanders do well (if there's a season at all), they have pieces to try moving up into the top echelon of the draft. If the Isles implode again, MacKinnon could be top notch compensation.

I'd almost consider putting that pick in play if I were Garth Snow. It's a valued pick that is only really made trade-ready due to the fact that he hasn't taken anyone with it yet - Snow hasn't traded an NHL-untested prospect since he got Ryan Smyth.

Last edited by 88th Precinct: 09-14-2012 at 06:36 PM.
88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote