Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: Shane Doan re-signs with the Coyotes (4yr-21.2 million)
View Single Post
Old
09-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
No surprise; he wouldn't have looked right in Vancouver or anywhere else anyway so the perfect ending to this whole ordeal for me, someone who will support the Coyotes. Doan's a loyalty, that's for sure. He's remained loyal to the Coyotes, the city, and the fans. If you don't believe that he's remained loyal to the Coyotes as well as his family and personal life, how about this:

Quote:
"I'm extremely excited about remaining a Coyote," Doan said on the team's website. "I was drafted by this organization and it means a great deal to me to be able to play with the same franchise my entire career.

"I'm very excited about our team, our coaching staff and our management and am confident about our future in Arizona. I chose to stay with the Coyotes because I am committed to winning here, not anywhere else and I love living and playing in the Valley. This is my home and this is my team."
I love the last sentence. I've always had so much respect for Doan and even more after this summer. Takes a discount and leaves good offers on the table to stay. He could have easily went to Vancouver and had a great chance for the Cup or accepted Buffalo's four-year, $30M offer for a good term and salary, but it was Phoenix through and through. I, for one, don't think this contract will be a burden at all. It would have to other teams, but it won't to the Coyotes. Also, who says the Coyotes, assuming they stay in Phoenix, can't be a Cup contender within four years? This team made it to the WCF just months ago. With the way standings in the League change so quickly, you can go from a bottom-feeder to playoff/Cup contender in a matter of a few years and vice versa. There is no saying what four years will bring. It's more likely he'd win a Cup in Vancouver, but it's not totally impossible in Phoenix.

All in all, good re-signing by the Coyotes. It's a good day to be an NHL fan in general, even with the lockout looming overhead. If the Coyotes lost both Whitney and Doan in one offseason, it would have been disastrous.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote