Thread: OT: NHL vs. NHLPA
View Single Post
Old
09-15-2012, 01:13 AM
Some Other Flame

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
You can call me an idiot all you want, I'm fully aware of the arguments from both sides. I'm not going to even bother going down that path because it's been debated to the grave at this point. I'm not really on anyone's side, the only people that truly suffer are the fans.
Oh please. The fans are the only one suffering? Really?

Oh no! Instead of spending three hours watching a game they'll have to pick up the remote and change the channel to watch something else. Oh the horror! The horror!

Seriously though, the only people actually suffering in a lockout situation are janitors, the concession workers, the arena staff, etc. You know, the guys who aren't making millions and who either lose their jobs or are on reduced pay until the lockout's settled. Those are the only people who actually lose.

Hockey is a form of entertainment, a luxury like all sports. If being unable to watch a game for a while is considered suffering, well, that's kind of sad.

Quote:
50/50 That is the way HRR should work, no?! Two things are fundamental to the NHL, capital (the owners) and the product (the players). Should a 50/50 split not be the logical point to concede to? I think so, and I think regardless, that is where the numbers will land.

I expect greedy billionaires to squabble over chump change, not players who are supposed to love nothing more than to do what they love. They get compensated quite fairly to be the best at what they do.
What does love have to do with anything? Honestly, by that same token, there are owners who love the sport so much, they should be content to make whatever they do, because you know, they love the sport so much.

Players are compensated according to what the markets dictate, nothing more, nothing less. And since they're the product, they're the ones putting their bodies on the line for our entertainment, I would much rather see them get more of my money, rather than the owners, who simply facilitate the process.

Quote:
They should be willing to do a 50/50 split. This is why I place most of the blame on them, I simply do not expect anything more from the owners. All the other aspects of the CBA could be fleshed out easily past this sticking point.

It doesn't take brains to figure out where these negotations will land with regards to HRR.
The players might very well not have a problem with a 50/50 split and that may very well be the final number when it's all said and done. But what the owners are doing at the moment is nothing short of bullying, plain and simple.

The players have the greater revenue split which they are quite content to keep. The owners however, aren't, and they want to the split to lower. See, the owners want something from the players. And when people want something from someone else, they usually offer something in return, i.e. a trade. So, to get it a lower split, they should offer a concession, i.e. greater revenue sharing between the rich teams and the poor, phasing in the drop in the cap, etc.

Instead, the owners not only demanded the players lower the share, they want to decrease the definition of HRR, which would lower the 'pie' as a whole, and then, they want the players to facilitate all of this by taking a immediate salary rollback, either permanently or a temporary one through escrow.

And in return, they offer nothing. 'Give us what we want or we'll lockout you out." Yes, the owners can play hardball to get what they want; they can afford to. But a healthy league means a healthy partnership and if one side would consistently feel that they are the only sacrificing to make things work, that's not a healthy relationship.

And keep in mind, none of what the owners have proposed actually fixes the real issues (rich teams making too much so that the poorer teams can't keep up); all of it will just come back in the next CBA negotiations. Essentially, ensuring that each CBA will be contentious and will see lockout after lockout after lockout. Those supporting the owners should actually see what they're proposing instead of just whining about the players making more money then them.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote