View Single Post
Old
09-15-2012, 06:00 AM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
Regarding our goalie depth, I'm with jBuds, the more, the merrier.

Makarov's highlight reel from Saskatoon's website can be viewed HERE, while highlights of his 57-save silver medal performance are in the clip below:

And here are some excerpts from various sources around the web, including Makarov's THW Close-Up:
Quote:
Like any young goalie, Makarov has areas that he can improve upon, but his athleticism still makes him an interesting prospect with a high upside. One of the knocks against Makarov is that he doesn’t rely on his technique as much as he should, but the goalie has shown that he is capable of playing collected and smart hockey, especially in pressure packed situations. In the end, Makarov may not be drafted as highly as his fellow countryman Andrei Vasilevski, but he is a prospect that has the talent, athleticism, quickness, and drive to succeed in the NHL one day.
Quote:
Strengths:
  • Good glove hand.
  • Composed under pressure.
  • Great athleticism.
  • Never gives up on a play.
Flaws/Aspects He Needs To Work On:
  • Must rely more on technique and strengthen his positioning.
Quote:
“Makarov is another brilliant prospect, one that is ranked in the North American realm, but hails from Kazan, Russia. I would probably take him over Vasilevski in a dynasty or keeper league due to the fact he is already playing in North America and has the calmness and economical mindset of Evgeni Nabokov. Vasilevski is the younger, more aggressive and raw-skilled prospect, so I like Makarov better as a fantasy asset.”

Link: The Goalie Guild’s Justin Goldman
Quote:
“Andrey is very athletic and plays an unorthodox style, but has good quickness in all areas. He’s smart at reading situations and is confident. He’s made a huge turnaround from last year, has good recovery and reactions, and he’s always trying to get his body in front of shots. He never gives up on a play and is strong at holding his ground.”

Link: Central Scouting’s Al Jensen
Quote:
“It absolutely helps that (Makarov) played well at the World Juniors. It shows that he can play in big games. He’s really improved since last year. I’ve been quite impressed. He’s played most of his team’s games and has played very well right from the beginning of the year. I like his chances of getting drafted this year.”

Link: Central Scouting’s Al Jensen
Quote:
"Andrey Makarov is an athletic goaltender with good size. He's very quick in the crease, battles hard and has a very impressive glove hand. Makarov handles the puck well and isn't afraid to act as a 3rd defenceman when handling the puck. He's proven to be very mentally tough, handling pressure situations and big games. Still considered to be a very raw goaltender in his movement and positioning. Has been compared to fellow Russian goaltender Evgeni Nabokov in terms of playing style."

Link: WHL From Above's Cody Nickolet
Quote:
"Quick and active long term goalie prospect, who is very athletic and seems to rely far too much on his quickness, as opposed to technique. Plays hybrid butterfly and "fighting-flops" anywhere he thinks he needs to be to make a play. Unfazed by the heat of battle, he is a long term high risk, high reward guy, who has to grow a technique so he can become a much better positioned goaltender."

Link: DraftSite's Bill Placzek
I agree most with Placzek's assessment. And lastly, here is the link to Buzzing The Net's 5 Questions with Andrey Makarov, Saskatoon Blades.

Last edited by Woodhouse: 09-15-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote