View Single Post
Old
09-15-2012, 08:14 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

vCash: 500
We all know both sides will agree to something close to what the other major sports leagues have, it just stinks that we're going to burn a few days/weeks/months while the two sides try and posture.

I've done a lot of reading about HRR lately and honestly...I'm starting to side with the owners more. Combine that with the insane spike in operating costs and I think it's hard to justify the player's stance and that weird proposal they keep offering. Until they at least get on the same page as the NHL and start negotiating on reasonable proposals...not much is going to change anytime soon.

How hateable is Don Fehr though? Ugh...I can't stand that guy. Oddly enough, I've always kinda like Bettman. He used to come across kinda phony (since I assume he only became a hockey fan once he got the gig) but I genuinely think he has the best interests of the league and sport in mind. Last time it was the necessity of adding a salary cap...now it's moving towards a 50/50 split.

It's pretty ridiculous that these negotiations ultimately are to protect the owners from themselves and it looks pretty half-hearted for teams like the Wild (signing Parise and Suter to monster deals) and the Flyers (lobbing an insane offer sheet at Weber) to now be on the side of a lockout but until these issues like front loading contracts and the now massive raises players are getting in their second RFA contracts get resolved...the league will continue to scratch and claw.

But new loopholes will pop up and owners and GMs will continue to try and find ways to circumvent the cap and we'll take two steps backward again.

Just wait until the owners want to get rid of guaranteed contracts. We'll definitely lose a season over that of it ever comes up.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote