Thread: Proposal: Tor-Ott
View Single Post
Old
09-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

vCash: 500
Let me set the record straight about Franson for those of you on the outside looking in.

Franson vastly outplayed the likes of Mike Komisarek and Luke Schenn last season, I don't think any Leafs fan would despute this fact. The reason why Franson was the odd man out for a good portion of the season was because he doesn't bring the elements Komisarek and Schenn do, physicality and shot blocking.
Since Carlyle/Wilson needed these two in the line up to provide these elements, they instantly had a spot over Franson.

Now factor in that fact that Phaneuf, Gardiner, Liles and Gunnarsson are better puck movers/distributors, so they are instantly ahead of Franson on the defensive depth chart.

When it comes down to it, Franson was our 5th best defenseman last season, but was pushed out of the top six because he couldn't bring the physical stay-at-home game that Komi and Schenn provide.

I'm not saying he would be Ottawa's 5th best defenseman, I'm just saying he is much more useful than most think, and would be a very important piece on a team that needs a big, steady offensive defenseman with a great shot. Just because he was a 7th defenseman on the Leafs by circumstance doesn't mean he should be labelled a 7th defenseman throughout the league.