View Single Post
Old
09-15-2012, 02:55 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Agree 100%. The owners are looking to change the status quo because of their overspending and should be held to be responsible for existing contracts. In a weird way Charles may drive me crazy at times but since the DiPietro contract he has been the one owner who is fiscally responsible (or cheap).
Careful....defining it like that makes Milstein sound like the most fiscally responsible owner of all time.

Toronto wants the cap high. Detroit has no choice with their talent. Chicago was a big exercise in stupidity. A few teams pushed to get the big name and helped. MEANWHILE....the poorer teams spent as they had to, so the cap was a good idea, but....the league, and several high dollar market teams caused this mess. The players could have made good money and fans not gotten squeezed for higher tickets if not for a few teams that jacked prices - and thus league revenues - up.

So we, the fans, are screwed. What the top revenue teams did caused a mess for the rest. The players benefited, sure, and the game with the same players did not. It just costs more.

I place the blame for this on Toronto first and foremost. Just look at how much they escalated ticket prices on their fans. As a fan of semi-pure capitalism, I can't fault them, but.....as the league is a homogeneous unit which needs 30 successful entities within it to prosper, a few put great hurt on the many.

And thus, the fans.

So no hockey.