View Single Post
Old
09-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
My goal is 100 shots per day. I've been working on my wrist shot mostly since that is the one I'm weakest on. I can't get it to lift at all, and I don't have a lot of power
Honestly, don't even bother with your wrist shot... It is a clunky, slow shot that I haven't used in maybe 20 years. Almost every high level player, and especially NHLers, use a snapshot instead of a wrister.

I constantly see young kids and adults new to hockey trying to practice their wrist shot, but perfecting your snapshot will make you a much better overall player. Most newbies and young kids will do a wrister and the puck will wobble, flip end over end, etc. There honestly isn't much reason to practice a wrist shot, when you can focus all of that effort on perfecting your snapshot.

Why? It is faster, harder, more accurate and puts consistent rotation on the puck. You can also use a snapshot to pass the puck. It is so much easier to use a snapshot to saucer a pass... Snapping the puck to an open teammate way up ice (or across) is effortless, and you will rarely see the puck flutter using this shot.

Here are a couple of videos that will teach you the mechanics of a snapshot:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xci...key-shoo_sport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYEE7...e_gdata_player

The second video will give you a real clear idea of the mechanics you have to follow to snap it.

Just remember that with a snapshot, you are snapping the blade of your stick a microsecond before it hits the ice/ pavement. With a wristshot you are dragging the puck with your stick... Slow...clunky....

Here is a drill I did as a kid to learn how to snap the puck:

Put the puck a few feet in front of your power foot (shoot lefty, your left foot; shoot righty your right foot). This is your "strike zone" and where your blade should ideally be making contact with the puck. You will be leaning all of your weight onto your front (power foot). Slowly lift up your back leg and practice a few "snaps" with your blade, then snap the puck.

Some quick tips:

- Fight the urge to keep both feet on the pavement and to drag the puck with your blade.

- The toes of your back leg should be off the pavement as you are snapping the puck. But practice with your toes raised and just barely touching the pavement until you become comfortable shifting your weight like this.

- No stick handling, no pulling the puck behind your leg... The puck should be perfectly still until you snap it...

It will feel awkward at first, but eventually you will find your center and your inertia will keep you up. This drill will allow you to get optimal transfer of power into every snapshot.

It sounds like a lot to remember, but once you start snapping the puck, you will eventually find what feels comfortable to you and you will start to feel your mechanics come more naturally.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote