09-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

vCash: 500
10 (t). Defenseman Cody Goloubef
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 195 lbs
How Acquired: Selected in 2nd round (37th overall), 2008 NHL Draft

Analysis: Another player selected after his freshman season in the NCAA, Goloubef grew into a dependable shutdown type defender for the Wisconsin Badgers over the course of his collegiate career. Transitioning to the AHL proved to be a little more difficult for Cody, as he has struggled through his first two pro seasons, posting a combined -26 rating in 98 career games with Springfield. A good skater with a big shot, Cody will be entering the final year of his entry level contract, and will have to step his game up in a big way to remain with the franchise. With so much talent being brought in on the blueline, he may unfortunately be lost in the mix.

Pros: Decent size, good skater, big shot
Cons: Strength has to improve, doesn't use his offensive skillset enough, still pretty raw.

Realistic Expectations: It's hard to place a guy like Cody. You don't want to call him an underachiever, because that likely isn't a fair assessment - however, he has so much obvious talent and vision, that it's hard to comprehend why he isn't doing so much more. I would love to see him burst onto the scene for Springfield this year, however I have my reservations. There are 8 other guys who will likely be competing for spots with Springfield, so he will have to find a way to be better than at least 3-4 of those guys to guarantee his spot. This is the most important season of his career thus far.

Stylistic Comparison: Dan Hamhuis

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote